This recipe for rice Krispie treats with peanut butter and chocolate is bursting with sweet and salty gooey goodness!
I love this Rice Krispie Treat recipe because it’s packed with peanut butter and chocolate and is super quick and easy to make. You can make your bars with or without the chocolate topping, depending on how decadent you’re feeling. I love both versions! If you opt to go topping-free then you will only need three ingredients!
Ingredients for Rice Krispie Treats with Peanut Butter
Peanut butter can be super divisive when it comes to smooth vs crunchy. Personally, when it comes to this recipe, I am team creamy all the way! It gives the Rice Krispie treats a nice smooth texture and adds a little creaminess. This being said, if you’re a die-hard cruncher then feel free to use the chunky variety. It shouldn’t affect the recipe all that much other than the texture.
Whatever the recipe, I always recommend opting for natural peanut butter. Often the no-stir varieties are packed with extra oils and sugars, and it’s harder to know what you’re getting. Play it safe with your Rice Krispie Treats and get natural peanut butter.
If you’re using unsalted PNB then add a little pinch of salt to the mixture. This will prevent your treats from being too sweet.
Regular marshmallows often contain fish gelatin, so finding a vegan-friendly variety is essential. Trader Joe’s has the most affordable option, but I also like these from Dandies. If you can, use mini marshmallows. If you can only find the regular size then chop them into quatres before adding them to the mixture.
Puffed Rice Cereal
You can’t make Rice Krispie Treats with peanut butter without puffed rice! This cereal has a lovely crispy texture and forms the base of the recipe.
Chocolate Topping (Optional)
Most large grocery stores stock plant-based chocolate chips, which is great news for vegan bakers! I used 1/4 cup of dark chocolate morsels for this recipe.
A little coconut oil will make the chocolate topping softer and easier to bite into.
Freeze Dried Raspberries and Strawberries
Not only do these look pretty sprinkled on the chocolate topping, but they also make our Rice crispy treats with peanut butter taste like PB and J!
How to Make Rice Krispie Treats with Peanut Butter
- Begin by melting your marshmallows and peanut butter. Place them into a small pot and heat on low until no lumps remain. Keep stirring the mixture to ensure it doesn’t burn. I like to use a silicone spatula for this. The end consistency should be sticky and stretchy, rather than liquid. This normally takes around five minutes, but play it by eye.
- Next, add the cereal and stir until everything is combined.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper, or use a silicone baking dish. This recipe makes around 16 Rice Krispie treats with peanut butter, and I used an 8″ x 8″(20cm x 20cm) square baking pan.
- Tip the marshmallow mixture into the pan and press gently but firmly, so that no air bubbles remain and every nook and cranny is filled. Then, smooth the top of the mixture with a spatula or spoon.
- Place the mixture into the fridge to set for around 10 minutes.
- If you’re not adding the chocolate topping then remove it from the fridge and slice it into 16 squares.
Recipe for Rice Krispie Treats with Peanut Butter and Chocolate + Freeze Dried Berries
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil using a double boiler, or in the microwave. If using a microwave then heat the mixture in 30-second intervals, mixing between each one, until the chocolate and oil are completely melted.
2. Set the refrigerated and sliced rice krispie treats onto a cooling wrack and drizzle with the chocolate topping. I llike to create a striped pattern!
3. Crush the freeze dried berries and sprinkle over the top.
How to Serve
This recipe tastes best served at room temperature, as the bars can be tricky to bite into if you eat them straight from the fridge.
Store your treats in an airtight container on the counter for up to three days.
Hungry for More Peanut Butter Treats?
Give in to your peanut butter cravings with these top-rated sweet recipes!
Thanks for checking out this recipe for Rice Krispie Treats with Peanut Butter. If you try it, please let me know what you think with a comment and rating. Every bit of feedback helps make the blog even better!Print
Rice Krispie Treats With Peanut Butter | Vegan Recipe
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 rice krispie squares 1x
This recipe for Rice Krispie Treats with peanut butter and chocolate is sweet, chewy, but crispy, and super easy to make!
Peanut Butter Rice Krispies
- 3/4 cup creamy salted peanut butter (see note)
- 10 oz (285 grams) vegan marshmallows (see notes)
- 3 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons refined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup freeze dried raspberries and/or strawberries, crushed
- Prepare pan: Prepare a square 8″ x 8″(20cm x 20cm) baking pan by lining with parchment paper (or use a silicone baking pan).
- Melt the marshmallows: Into a large pot over low heat, add peanut butter and vegan marshmallows, stirring to avoid sticking. Heat until the marshmallows becomes stretchy and sticky, then stir in crispy rice cereal.
- Scoop mixture into prepared baking pan and press down the mixture and smooth over to create a flat surface.
- Allow to set: Place into the fridge for 10 minutes to set, then cut into 16 rice krispie squares! If desired add a drizzle of chocolate and sprinkle of freeze dried. berries.
- Garnish (optional): Melt together chocolate chips and coconut oil using a double boiler or short bursts in the microwave, stirring regularly. While the chocolate chips are melting, place rice krispie squares on a cooling rack and then drizzle with melted chocolate. Sprinkle with freeze dried raspberries and/or strawberries.
- Serve: Serve your peanut butter rice krispies at room temperature.
- Store: Store peanut butter rice krispies in an airtight container and enjoy within 3 days.
- Peanut butter: For this recipe you need to use natural peanut butter. Do not use no-stir peanut butter, as you need a little oil from the natural peanut butter to prevent the mixture from sticking. If you’re not using salted creamy peanut butter, add a pinch of salt to the pot when melting the marshmallows.
- Marshmallows: My favorite vegan marshmallows are Trader Joe’s or Dandies. Use mini marshmallows if possible, or cut large marshmallows into smaller pieces (I like to use my kitchen scissors for this!).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Inactive: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 11
- Sodium: 83
- Fat: 6
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: rice krispie treats with peanut butter, recipe for rice krispie treats with peanut butter, how to make rice krispie treats with peanut butter, recipe for rice krispie treats with peanut butter and chocolate
This post contains affiliate links, which means I’ll make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change.