this post may contain affiliate links…
Have you tried homemade sweet potato fries? They make a tasty change to regular potatoes. Their flavor is sweetly distinct, and they also develop rich caramelized flavors. However, we prefer to avoid deep frying since it’s not exactly healthy, and can also be messy. Instead, we figured out this recipe for perfectly crispy oven-baked sweet potato fries. Read on to discover the secret!
Get Crispy Without the Deep Frying
The biggest challenge when making oven-baked sweet potato fries is getting them crispy. It took a few tries before we found the secret – it’s starch! Cornstarch, to be exact (although potato starch works just as well). This ingredient does some neat tricks when cooked at high temperatures. A little starch in your sweet potato fries recipe will get you all the crisp you need.
Sculpting your Sweet Potatoes
Start with about 2.25lbs/1kg of sweet potatoes. To get the best homemade fries, grab the longest, straightest sweet potatoes you can find. We recommend leaving the skin on, so make sure you clean them thoroughly. Also, remove away any dark, soft, or otherwise “bad” spots.
Next, cut the potatoes lengthwise into slices about half an inch wide. Then flip the slices on the side and cut them lengthwise again. You should now have perfectly fry-shaped sweet potatoes pieces.
Extra Starch Please!
Give the fries a rinse, shake off the excess water, and then pile them into a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix 4 tablespoons of corn or potato starch with your chosen seasonings, for example:
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt to taste
Sprinkle the starch seasoning over the sweet potatoes and toss it through until they’re all coated. You’ll notice that the starch seems to “disappear” as it dissolves in the moisture on the surface of the potato.
Into the Oven
Drizzle 4 tablespoons of olive oil onto the fries and mix it through to coat everything. After that, spread the fries out across two baking trays lined with parchment paper (or silicone baking mats). Don’t pack them too close together, or they won’t cook evenly.
Bake them at 400F/205C for about 18-25 minutes, flipping them halfway through. They’re ready when they’re golden brown and crispy (keep an eye on them, as every oven is different). Hopefully, you also have your dipping sauces prepped – because it’s time to eat. Homemade sweet potato fries are always best right after baking!
And about those dipping sauces? Well, ketchup is classic, but why not try:
- Sriracha or wasabi flavored vegan mayo
- Some vegan queso and guacamole
- Or go Aussie style and pour on some vegan gravy
There are no rules when it comes to fries, so have fun!
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Sweet Potato Fries. If you try it, please let us know what you think with a comment and rating. Every bit of feedback helps make the blog even better.Print
Baked Sweet Potato Fries | Crispy Comfort Food
- Total Time: 33-40 minutes
- Yield: 6 as a side or snack 1x
It’s time for oven-baked sweet potato fries – homemade and delicious! With our recipe, you’ll get crispy sweet potato fries every time.
- 2.25lbs / 1kg sweet potatoes, washed
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch or potato starch
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (See Notes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (See Notes)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs e.g. flat leaf parsley or cilantro
- Sriracha, lemon or garlic mayonnaise
- Vegan queso and guacamole
- Vegan gravy
- Preheat the oven to 400F/205C and prepare two baking trays by lining them with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise into slices about 0.5 inch/1.5cm wide. Then flip the slices on the side and cut them lengthwise again.
- Rinse the sweet potato ‘fries’ and shake off any excess water, then pile them into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix together corn/potato starch, onion and garlic powder (or any other spices you desire!), and a generous pinch of salt. Sprinkle the starch seasoning over the sweet potatoes and toss it through until they are all coated and the starch starts to “disappear” as it dissolves in the moisture on the surface of the sweet potato. Then drizzle olive oil over the coated sweet potatoes and mix it through to coat everything.
- Divide the sweet potatoes between two lined baking trays, making sure they aren’t packed too close together or overlapping (as this will prevent the sweet potatoes from crisping up!).
- Place the sweet potatoes in the oven and bake for 18-25 minutes, flipping them half way through (keep an eye on them, as every oven is a little different). Your baked sweet potato fries are ready when they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the baked sweet potato fries from the oven, sprinkle with a little salt. Serve while hot sprinkled with some fresh herbs and some delicious dipping sauces, such as ketchup, sriracha, lemon or garlic mayonnaise, vegan queso and guacamole, or gravy! Enjoy!
- Feel free to mix up the seasonings. We also like to use cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, paprika, thyme and oregano.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 18-25 minutes
Keywords: baked sweet potato fries, oven baked sweet potato fries, homemade sweet potato fries, sweet potato fries recipe
This post contains affiliate links, which means I’ll make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change.
Great recipe. Thanks !
So glad you enjoyed it!!
Thank you! Yes they are super tasty and crispy ?